Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Lesson Learned by Uncle Bear

A few months ago I began making bird feeders using landfill-bound frozen dinner trays, snap-on covers, and screw tops for jars made from plastic. Realizing my supply was limited to what came from my kitchen, I started asking neighbors and friends for materials. While I had never given any thought to the large variety of things that could be used to produce tray type bird feeders, I assumed I had seen everything - that is - until I was given….

When the visitor handed me a bag and announced that its contents would make great apartment balcony feeders, I became excited. However, my excitement immediately vanished when I peered into the paper sack. Staring at the contents my only thought was, “How long do I have to wait, after my visitor has departed, before I throw this unwanted trash away?” There was absolutely no way I was going to produce tiny bird feeders out of former snuff containers!

Sitting and scowling at the tobacco holders, I started pondering, “What if I…Or if I tried…How about…However….?” Picking up one of the containers I began experimenting. In the end the aluminum lids were sent to a recycling center, while the plastic containers, with all identification removed, were used to produce excellent tiny bird feeders.

This experience taught me a valuable lesson. If someone gives me something I find objectionable or worthless, rather than discard it, I now take the time to ponder what might be done with it. Thus far, I’ve been able to utilize all of the “objectionable and worthless” items given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment